In 2005 the consortium achieved Category A status after an OfSTED inspection in 2004/2005 and this has been maintained following further successful inspections in 2008 and 2010.
Ofsted identified the following as particular features of Somerset SCITT and its initial teacher training programmes:
- Excellent leadership with clarity of purpose, a passion for education and highly effective management skills
- Outstanding recruitment processes which identifies trainees with the potential to become outstanding teachers
- Excellent centre-based and in-school training supported by very effective professional tutors, centre-based tutors and moderators
- High quality academic and pastoral support which enables all trainees to make good or outstanding progress
- Excellent systems to evaluate, assess, track and promote trainees’ progress.