In 2017 Somerset SCITT were judged to be ‘Outstanding’ in all areas. The consortium first achieved Category A status after an Ofsted inspection in 2004/2005 and this has been maintained following further successful inspections in 2008 and 2010.
The 2017 Ofsted report identified the following as particular features of Somerset SCITT and its initial teacher training programmes:
- Very high completion and employment rates for trainees, coupled with the excellent progress trainees make in their early teaching careers, are notable features.
- The trainees reflect closely on the quality of their teaching, keen to ensure that they reach the highest standards. they attain and demonstrate the teachers’ standards very well. Trainees quickly develop the curriculum knowledge and practical skills required to be a successful teacher
- Individual guidance given to each trainee ensures that any gaps in knowledge and experience are rectified. Support plans are tailored to meet individual trainees’ requirements.
- Trainees and NQTs display a strong presence in their classrooms and develop positive relationships with their pupils, enabling them to create effective teaching environments which encourage and support learning.
- Training is delivered very well by a combination of expert leaders and managers, leading teachers, consultants and specialist lecturers.
- Leaders and managers of the partnership are ambitious for the future and have a determined commitment to teacher education.
The full Ofsted report can be found here